MySQL DBA / Database Analyst
The role is to manage and support the company database infrastructure, to liaise with the development and systems teams to prevent production outages where possible and resolve them in a timely fashion if they do occur, to spec and help in the design of new systems and to proactively plan and implement system upgrades.
- Ensuring the highest possible server uptime as required in a 24/7 international business
- Developing and document best practices for server install, setup, development, access and security
- Providing support in the event of DB outages
- Implementing, documenting and testing Backup and Recovery procedures
- Specifying server monitoring and liaising with the systems team to plan for upgrades in a timely fashion
- Supporting the Systems team with DB upgrades on a server and code level
- Supporting the Systems and development teams on performance monitoring and issue resolutions
- Recommend where appropriate the use of new versions and features through proactive testing.
- You will be working as part of the Infrastructure team and will need to monitor the databases to prevent outages, to spot performance issues before they become service-affecting and to plan, schedule and execute any required maintenance.
- You will liaise regularly with developers to help with schema updates and new queries within the company applications.
- You may also need to assist with the companies reporting and auditing.
- You will also be required to help in the development of a simple deployment strategy for developers wishing to reset their personal development DB’s back to anonymised production copies to aid new development.
Skills and Experience Required
- Excellent knowledge and experience of MySQL running in an Internet facing environment
- This should include an excellent knowledge of administration, design, tuning, security, backup, archiving, recovery techniques and architecture in MySQL environments.
- A good working knowledge of either MSSQL, Oracle or MongoDB
- Ability to present ideas in user-friendly language
- Good interpersonal, oral and written communication skills
- Hands on experience of the setup and use of DB monitoring and analysis software
- Knowledge of PCI security and compliance
- Able to prioritize and execute tasks from multiple workflows in a high-pressure environment
- Self-motivated and directed, with keen attention to detail
- The successful applicant will be bright and enthusiastic with a strong knowledge of all aspects of relational database setup, design and administration including optimal hardware specifications to limit any performance and resiliency issues.
- You will be expected to have knowledge of current software tools and practices used for database management and to be able to help with the implementation of a change management system to be used by development and for test and production releases.
Job Reference: JO-1611-91440
Salary: £300 - £350 per day
Job Duration: 9 -12 months