Head of Engineering- This is to work on Greenfield projects to boost the digital economy working within the IoT, Blockchain, Augmented Reality and digital domain.
- Lead a team providing devops and operational support to their web platforms. These are often experimental systems but some will evolve to be larger live services, and in addition include the corporate web site. They are often created in collaboration with partners.
- Lead a team of software engineers building their platforms and components
- Provide strong leadership for processes, automation, best practices, documentation and budget management
- Provide both support and proactive improvements for internal IT systems including email, messaging, calendaring, expenses, CRM, accounting and finance, HR, printing, videoconferencing / telepresence and so on
- Technical accountability for security procedures and awareness including Cyber Essentials certification (working with our Security Architect)
- Manage the networking and systems for their centre with high availability for staff and visitors, including guest wifi, AV provision for events
- Participate creatively in showcasing and experimenting with the latest technologies at the Centre. An example is our role to create a large-scale low-power wide-area Internet of Things network, or our plans for virtual and augmented reality.
Technical Capabilities and Experience
- Experience managing software development teams
- Architecture, planning and budgeting for cloud deployments; strong knowledge of available services across major providers such as AWS, Azure, Google
- Devops automation, containerisation and orchestration tools such as Chef, Ansible, Docker, Jenkins, Kubernetes, Mesos, CoreOS
* Operational experience with monitoring and alerting for web services, cloud deployments and networks
* Experience managing internal IT systems for organisations with over 50 employees, mixed Mac/Windows environment with cloud-based services and applications
* Strong networking knowledge and skills
* Excellent process management experience for documentation, agile software build and delivery, continuous testing and deployment, configuration management, source control
* Essential to have previous history of hands-on software development
* Experience with big data systems using frameworks such as Hadoop
* Detailed command of Linux
- Experience managing or deploying systems for public spaces or conferences
- Outstanding interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills
- Strong project and time management focus, able to handle multiple projects at different stages of development as well as operational issues
- Pro-active and self-confident, adaptable and able to cope with ambiguity, changing and evolving priorities whilst being able to identify new opportunities.
- Excellent problem solving and multi-tasking skills, with a creative and flexible attitude
- Very collaborative working style; desire and ability to share ideas
- Team leadership and budget management experience
- Degree in Computer Science or similar field desirable
- Previous Cisco CCNA / CCNP certifications would be a plus but are not essential
Salary: £500.00 - £700.00 per day