When speaking about managing work-related stress, we can’t ignore the topic of burnout.
The World Health Organisation defines burnout as “a syndrome conceptualized as resulting from chronic workplace stress that has not been successfully managed.” The WHO further categorizes burnout by 3 dimensions:
- Feelings of energy depletion or exhaustion
- Increased mental distance from one’s job, or feelings of negativism or cynicism related to one’s job
- Reduced professional efficacy
You are not alone. To help promote mental health and workplace wellness, we have compiled a list of helpful apps to combat workplace stress and signs of burnout. The trick is to recognise these triggers and ultimately manage your workload healthily and effectively.
This award-winning app with 65+ million users has hundreds of meditations with some only one-minute long. Research shows that Headspace can positively impact sleep, mood, work and stress.
A work-based study said 30 days of Headspace lowers stress by 32%, and just 4 sessions reduces burnout by 14%.
If you manage a team or own a business, there is also an option to get Headspace for work. By encouraging mental health in the workplace and providing tools for your employees, your team can see an increase in focus, productivity and overall happiness.
“4 weeks of Headspace can increase focus by 14%, and just a single session cuts mind-wandering by 22%” – Headspace
Cost: Free for the basics plan or a subscription for $69.99 / year plan or $12,99 / month
Looking to block out external noise? Noisli can help by providing a platform where you can mix different sounds to serve your mood or task at hand.
When we experience workplace stress, we can easily feel overwhelmed and our thoughts can take over. Noisli can help block out these unwanted thoughts and boost productivity through encouraging focus.
The app also offers a timer which can help you work in sessions to prevent burnout.
Apple’s Best of 2018 award winner, Calm hosts a variety of videos that includes guided stretching, sleep stories, and meditation. Every day, a new “Daily Calm” meditation is released with a different theme, motivating people to use the app and see what the day’s meditation holds.
The sleep stories help stressful sleepers rest easy, especially when overwhelmed by anxiety and stress from work.
Stoic is a mental health training app that helps you learn to cope with stress and daily obstacles. This app follows the philosophy of stoicism which in summary is:
- Become happier and more productive
- Become less emotionally reactive
- Become a better, kinder person
- Become better at resolving conflicts
The app includes a mental health tracker companion for mood tracking, journaling, meditations, and reflection. It analyses your emotive influences and gives you insights on how to be happier and more productive.
Available on IOS
Want to Speak to Someone Now?
- The Samaritans 24-hour helpline on 116 123 (UK)
- SADAG 24-hour helpline 0800 456 789 (South Africa)
- Crisis Text Line – Text CONNECT to 741741 to chat with a Crisis Counsellor (US)
- Open Counselling – National Committee for Mental Health Call 920033360 (UAE)
- Beyond Blue 24-hour hotline 1300 22 4636 (Australia)
- Institute of Mental Health’s Mental Health Helpline 6389-2222 (Singapore)
- Malaysian Mental Health Association (MMHA) 03-2780 6803 (Malaysia)
- The Samaritan Befrienders helpline 2389 2222 (Hong Kong)
Not in these locations? Find an international crisis line here.